Wednesday, March 12, 2014

British "Reality TV" competitors more humble than Americans

I watch a lot of UK shows and although I'm not a huge "reality" television fan I DO watch a lot of competition shows - mostly cooking. What I've noticed when comparing American shows to the UK shows is how humble the British are compared to Americans.

As an example, on Masterchef UK (a very different show over there by the way) you'll rarely ever hear a chef say that the judge is wrong. They take the criticism and learn from it. In the states you always hear things like "he (the judge) doesn't know what he's talking about," "I know mine was better," etc.

I was just watching Ink Master and one of the contestants says that "Oliver (one of the judges) doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground." My first thought was, "If you don't have any respect for the judges why are you there?"

Is it just me?

Before anyone says it, I know that even the competition shows are "Reality" shows and that the producers control the editing and sometimes push for the negative comments. I get that. But the fact is if it didn't sell they wouldn't do it.

All I know is I'm grateful to be able to fast forward through competitors in the "house" bitching about the judges and each other. I'm also grateful to be able to get the British shows. I know I'm probably in the minority but I watch for the actual competition, not the drama.

And I do feel that a little humility goes a long way.


A friend told me the difference is that manners and decorum are lacking in the States. I tend to agree with her.


No comments:

Post a Comment